Saturday, January 18, 2014

A LONG CHRISTMAS VACATION!


When I last wrote on the blog, we were packed and ready to head north for Christmas with family and friends.  Since our return, I have not gotten back into the writing craze.  My excuse, I guess, is having too much fun.  But today is the day to bring everyone up to date on our December and January activities.

Considering the mid-west has had horrible weather this year, our trip to and from Florida to Indiana to Iowa was excellent.  No snow, wind or horrific cold temperatures.  We arrived in Schererville, IN on Dec. 13th and spent the rest of the month moving to and from Melissa, Jon and Andrew’s homes.  (My Dad always said, “Company and fish are just alike.  After three days they both stink!”)  Gee, I hope that wasn’t their thoughts J  We were able to do our Christmas shopping, attend Ava’s choir concert, celebrate Melissa’s birthday, and spend both Christmas Eve and Christmas day with our children and grandchildren.  It really doesn’t get any better than that.  Also, tucked into those weeks, we were able to have dinner and conversation with lots of dear, dear friends in the area.







On Dec. 26th, we headed for Iowa to visit my brothers and their families, Steve’s Mom and his sister’s family.  My brothers and I had a neighbor couple whom we have known our whole lives.  Wilmer is gone now, but Betty resides in a nursing facility.  So, all of us were able to spend an afternoon with her, which was special to all of us. (We call her our second Mom!)




The awful cold spell moved into Iowa on the last days of December, so we packed it up and moved it out!  We left and the thermometer read -6 degrees and was going down from there! As I mentioned, the two day drive to Florida was long but uneventful.  We arrived back at Bradenton, FL to nice warm temps.  Steve’s Christmas present was awaiting him.  Before leaving, we had met and secured a company to clean, polish and buff the whole outside of our boat.  In addition, they stripped, sanded and finished the wood on the entire boat with four coats of Cetol.  Do I have a happy husband…Merry Christmas Dear!!!!  For non-boaters, this would be a huge amount of work, so to leave and come back to a finished product is amazing.  We have found that salt water is VERY hard on any surface and especially a boat.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


We enjoyed the first two weeks in Bradenton in preparation for our sail down the west coast of Florida.  January 6th, I celebrated my birthday with a lovely dinner with my husband.  The “weather God’s” must of wanted me to remember celebrating my day up north, because the winds began to blow and the temps dropped to freezing.  Once again, rather unusual for Florida, but it happens.  Since then, the whole state has been experiencing below normal temperatures and it doesn’t seem to improve!  You know my old theory, take lemons and make lemonade.  As I told a friend this AM, I am getting tired of lemonade and need to move on to a new tropical drink!  Sailing life is tough, folks.

One Year Older Isn't Too Bad


Leonardo da Vinci Exhibit in Bradenton



Lunch at Fav's

David & Jane from Texas Stopped for a Visit

As I write, we have moved farther south and are currently in Charlotte Harbor.  In my next blog writing, I will bring you up to date on our adventures from Bradenton to Charlotte Harbor.  I promise to be a bit more prompt from now on.

Have a great day from sunny, but very cool, Florida!